This Vegan Dark Chocolate Glazed Cake came about thanks to my mom asking for something VERY chocolate-y for her birthday dessert. I think it’s the lack of flour in this cake combined with the different sources of chocolate (both chopped chocolate and cocoa powder, topped with a chocolate glaze) that just make it so extremely fudge-y, undeniably chocolate-y, and just plain perfect for a chocolate lover like my mom!
Needless to say this cake was a huge hit with my mom and definitely hit the spot for me too. I recommend you serve it with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream, it makes all the difference.
Related: Vegan Dark Chocolate Fudge Recipe
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan Dark Chocolate Glazed Cake
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp agave syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
1 chia egg (1 Tbsp chia seeds mixed with 3 Tbsp water)
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp banana, mashed/pureed
1/4 cup dark chocolate, chopped
For the glaze
2 heaped tsp of powdered sugar
1 heaped tsp cocoa powder
2-3 Tbsp almond milk (or other plant based milk)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C)
- Mix together the ground flaxseed (if you can’t find ground flaxseed, whole flax works too), cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla extract, agave, chia egg and banana puree until smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until completely combined.
- Grease a small loaf pan with coconut oil or other plant based oil and pour the mixture into it. Sprinkle the chopped dark chocolate over the cake and use a spatula to push it into the batter slightly.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 40 minutes until the cake is completely set on top and doesn’t wobble.
- To make the glaze: stir together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder, add a little bit of almond milk at a time and stir vigorously until you get a thick glaze. you need less almond milk that you think so go easy and stir a lot until adding more, you don’t want the glaze to get runny!
- Let the cake cool completely and then spread the glaze on top using a spoon or spatula.
Serve with a couple of spoons of vanilla ice cream, enjoy!